Smooth Move

In my classes things have been moving pretty smoothly. I haven’t let myself get stressed over the work because it’s fairly simple and I’ve gained an optimistic point of view now that there are a few more months of school left. The school library will always be able to cleanse my thoughts and I’m getting nostalgic that it’s my last year; no more sunlit haven filled with shelves of knowledge. We’re moving on to Sonnets in English and I must admit, it’s a very interesting way of writing. I would like to take my chance at writing a few, but I’m hesitant because I know it would take much patience and practice and research. The rhyming scheme of it all is what attracts me the most. When I write poems, which is rare, I’m not a huge fan on rhyming because it seems too cliche, but it works perfectly in Sonnets; it flows. I’m stuck on the rhyming of the art, and I’ve overlooked the meaning and purpose of it. And what I mean by this is that I get distracted by the rhythm at the end of each line that I don’t pay attention to what the Sonnet is actually saying. But to even begin writing a sonnet, one must come up with a conflict, issue, or a doubt and end the text in a way that resolves the situtation. If it was up to me I would just write about antything, like I usually do. But the format of a sonnet forces me to think about the type of context I should employ. For example, I’m excited about making cute and silly rhymes, but not too thrilled about coming up with a situation. It’s because I don’t like to “spill” my life to anyone but my journal, and writing about a personal situation is, to me, a very vulnerable thing.

5 thoughts on “Smooth Move

1. I can appreciate your comments on vulnerability in light of the fact that some of my favorite poets are Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plaith, who are recognized as “Confessional Poets.” Check them out. Literary wildness at its best (in my opinion)!!! And thus, my question: Do structure and convention work for or against a poet’s vulnerability? Enlighten us, please.

2. It may seem, that most of the time, structure and convention work against a poet’s vulnerability, but it all depends on the writer. For instance, I’m eager to learn different types and styles of writing, and I love challenging myself. I’m always willing to be creative and try my hand at anything that challenges my vulnerability. I love finding different ways to “hide” my personal side behind my words.

3. So, for me, structure and convention are merely a small obstacle that make the production of words even better.

4. I’m wondering about love sonnets, then. Are sonnets effective vehicles for expressions of love? Would you argue that free verse poems better communicate those sentiments?

5. Even with a simple entrance you’re able to make it admirable, educative, and end it with a good thought. I love your writing! It always makes me reflect upon myself.