The Avid Crew: Cheesy For Life

I’m not quite sure this will be the best blog I’ve ever made, but hopefully it will be good.

Year One: It all started freshman year when me and my best friend Amanda walked into room 54 in the basement under the cafeteria. There were no desks; just chairs placed in a circle. Little did we know we would soon be listening to Mr. Killough, our freshman Avid teacher, reading from his “Be True to Your School” novel. Killough was, first and foremost, a journalism teacher, so all the Macs against the walls were to be used by his yearbook and newspaper staff only. Being the mischievous freshman that we were, some of us used to move important documents around just to frustrate Killough. We always stayed in our little circle, and the class consisted of all girls except for two very smart boys, Roger and Ruben. The Avid Crew began with Amanda, Ruben, and I, friends since elementary, and two weeks into the year, Roger and Dominique became aquainted with us. After the first semester, a shy-looking white girl strolled into our class. We were always getting new students who would eventually leave, so it was nothing new to see different face within the circle. Amber Boyd, who wasn’t so shy after all, became the new addition to the Crew her first day there. We all had fun joking around with Killough and our tutors. The last installment of the group was Lexi. She was there since day one, but we hadn’t really been much more than aquaintances until the last couple of months of our freshman year. I remember having to take Cornell notes on the “Rear Window” movie, which resembled “Disturbia.” I also remember keeping track of those lame pretend stocks. I was never good at them. The best trip we took that year was the one to Texas State. I knew then, like I know now, that Texas State is the school for me.

Year Two: We were all excited to become sophomores, but even more excited to continue being the Avid Crew. The second year brought many changes: Coach Gomez was our new teacher, Amanda was no longer in the class, and there were many new faces. Gomez didn’t make us work as much as Killough, but she still put work on our desks everyday. We had a student teacher that year, and while I thought she was wonderful, some students, like Irving, weren’t too fond of her. I read a lot of books that year, including Twilight. I remember watching “The Princess Bride” and the Avid Crew was so intent on remaking the movie in Dominiques backyard. We even gave every member of the Avid Crew a role from the movie. It never happened, but I know it would have been fun to play out. That was also the year with the bomb and gun threats, the day me, Amber, Nikki, and Roger tried to flee the school and hop in Nikki’s dads Mustang. Roger, unfortunately, didn’t make it. It was also fun creating our cute Avid shirts. I still have mine with the outline of my misspelled name. It’s sad, I misspelled my name a lot that year. With the pancakes, birthday cakes, Secret Santa, DDR, and the time Nikki bounced my ball out of the window, that was a really fun year in Avid; the year of our youth.

Year Three: Amanda was back. And this year, there were many more new faces, but the Avid Crew remained invincible in our corner of Ms. Chounet’s room next the to sunlit windows. Honestly, we never worked much in that class, aside from Gio’s lame tutor sessions. We were all so rebellious against any type of work. Chounet only ever gave us famous quotes to cop down into our “Avid Journal,” and she always talked about squirrels or tangelos. I’ll never forget the day she threw taffy at me, that crazy woman. We always played card games whenever we got bored. I’ll never forget my little spot in the corner by the window :]

Year Four: Mr. Jimenez, the only teacher who made us constantly work. It was for our own good though. It’s been a great last year in Avid, and the projects have been excitingly creative. The thing I love most about the class is the ability to blog as I am doing now, for the last time. I accomplished so much in this class, especially finding my true calling: writing. Thank you Mr. Jimenez, for all the ways you made school work fun, because it was fun everyday :] And to the people that were once in the Avid Crew but got out, you were voted off the island and aren’t allowed back. The Avid Crew now consists of: Amber Boyd, Roger Reyna, Lexi Gutierrez, and Bernice Barrera….the cheesiest people alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!